Wednesday, January 9, 2008

The end of Nutrition

Nutrition went well, everything turned out great, and overall it was a very straightforward class. The focus was on macronutrients, micronutriens, and water. Macronutrients being carbohydrates, protein and fat, micronutrients being vitamins and minerals. One of the major points that we had to know for macronutrients the amount of calories per gram each one has. (Carbs = 4, Protein = 4, Fat = 9, Alcohol = 7) We also had to know basically how a person's diet should break down (50-60% calories/day from carbs, 10-15% from protein, and less than 30% from fat). It was interesting to calculate my own calorie needs as well. To do this, you take your weight and multiply by 10 if you're a man, and multiply by 9 if you're a woman. This number is your basal calorie needs, or the amount of calories you need for basic body function. You take this number, and you add it to your activity calorie needs (weight x activity level (between 3-10)).

This number isn't infallible. I found that my calorie needs are so much higher than anything I could ever consume. The thing is, my metabolism is a lot slower than the average, meaning my body is more efficient than the average, and I do not need as many calories to maintain my weight.

No comments: